Hi there guys and dolls! Happy August to you all, hope you are enjoying your summer wherever you are (my girls Heather and Andrea live in the land of peaches and beaches, so you know they are). As for me well, you all know I’ll have a good time no matter what I get up to.
Music plays a big part in the backdrop of our lives. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, as my girls write their Poppy Cove Mysteries they usually have some of the finest jazz and/or old blue eyes of the 50’s era rounding out in the background. Rock n’ roll, balladeers and soul singers were also very big in my time, and such fun they were.
Here’s some links to songs featured on Youtube that were popular in August 1957, which incidentally is when my first Poppy Cove Mystery (STRANGLED BY SILK, if you are just tuning in). Do keep in mind these are older clips, so the quality is what it is. Maybe we should just be grateful we can still see them, but that’s a whole other topic for another day, isn’t it ;-)?
1. Pat Boone – Love Letters in the Sand (for you avid fans out there, you’ll know this was mentioned in the book). Isn’t Mr. Boone dreamy?
2. Elvis Presley – (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear in Technicolor! Doesn’t Elvis just make you go weak in the knees?
3. Billy Williams – (I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and) Write Myself a Letter. Now the video clip for this was from 1959, and isn’t it such a delight to see a young Dick Clark hosting the Saturday Night Beech-Nut Show? And I just love Mr. Williams’ delightful smile and expressive demeanor.
4. The Everly Brothers – Bye Bye Love. Still such a popular song. I’ll bet you can hear this playing somewhere, on some station or channel to this day. Their harmonies still send me, sigh!
5. The Coasters – Searchin’. Love the strolling entrance, and toss in the Steve Allen intro to make the fun complete. If you don’t find your head boppin’ along before the end of this tune, you’d better check your pulse!
And so concludes our musical interlude. Have fun, cool cats 🙂